- 4 weeks until Summer Break (and Summer TRAINING!). April is a rough month.
- Time Trials: HAVE BEGUN!! I competed in the John Fraser Memorial Time Trial again, and improved my time and effort by almost 2 minutes! I was 3rd overall female again the second year in a row, awesome! I was really happy with my SUPER consistent power output throughout 10-mile the course. 2 days later, I participated in the practice-run Tuesday Night Time Trial on my home course, and despite being almost 3 miles longer, I only averaged 10W less. I'm already riding super strong this season, I'm excited to see improvement!
- With all the hard riding I've been doing...I've been going through my Pearl Izumi cycling and tri-shorts like crazy! They are the perfect length, with the perfect chammy, with the perfect matching cycling jacket, with the perfect adorable cycling tops (you get the idea...)
- LOVING some new product- I'm totally digging my Swiftwick Aspire Zero and 12in compression socks- they are very comfortable and get the job DONE!! On a 60mile ride my husband, father-in-law, and I did on Easter, all 3 of us were wearing our matching black swiftwick compression socks... so cute! Here's what Swiftwick had to say LOL: My husband has been complaining of some serious calf soreness and foot blisters after running...both went away after I bought him 3 pairs of Aspires! Sweet!
- Speaking of hard riding... focusing on HALF-iron distance training is a lot HARDER than Iron-distance training... everytime I get on the bike I can expect to hammer through at least some hard intervals of various intensities and duration... and surprisingly I like it!
- Foot recovery... I actually feel like there is some REAL progress going on...I'll be able to talk more about this a few more runs... but the day-to-day pain is subsiding a little bit, and I can run FASTER with the "same amount" of push-off pain...I've been consistent with PT, at-home exercises and stretching, and anti-inflammatories...
- swimming... I haven't really gotten in a consistent groove in a couple weeks... my own fault...it's going to be important that I get in the water CONSISTENTLY, and not trying to "crash" swim a bunch of days in a row after procrastinating swim workouts until the end of the week.
- SPEAKING OF CRASHING/CONSISTENCY...
- Last week, after a scheduled day off on Monday, I was struggling to get ready for my FAVORITE workout of the week... Tuesday Night Time Trials of course! But I was NOT into it, I was DREADING it...weird. Even though the weather was crappy, I usually consider that an "advantage"... so Jen (my coach and I) agreed that I would swim instead... but that swim didn't happen. Or any workouts the next day. In fact, in the last week, I've only done two runs.
- I had NO desire to workout/train at all...I don't feel that my "body" shut down, but rather my "mind" did. I'm not sure what brought it on...maybe it was the crap weather, a little anxiety about work/home, not sleeping well for a couple weeks, or truly just needing a "break."
- Whatever the cause of the funk, I am DONE with it! I've enjoyed my weeklong break, I feel rested, and I'm ready to get my endorphins and training-high back tomorrow starting with a swim and then, what else? Tuesday Night Time Trials!! :)
- On a different note, here are TV shows that I love and don't miss an episode (thank goodness for DVR): The Firm. Grey's Anatomy. New Law & Order SVU. Modern Family. The Voice. Impractical Jokers.
- Wine: A very important topic. I am a BIG fan of spicy, dark, and/or unique flavors. Besides ANY Shiraz, Syrah, or Malbec, here are 3 midwest wines that I LOVE that you should try:
- Acquaviva Winery- Piacere. I am not a skilled wine taster, so I cannot describe this incredibly unique and awesome flavor! I bought this wine with my JFTT winnings! :)
- Seven Springs Winery- Norton. I've been obsessed with and can't stop thinking about this one...even though we bought and drank the bottle in January.
- Lynfred Winery 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve. This one surprised me!! I am NOT usually a big Pinot Noir fan, but I LOVED this flavor!
- I've been experimenting with a little running/triathlon coaching with a few friends and family members... and I'm super pleased with how it's going! Here's a few shout-outs:
- My brother Don is going to be racing the Illinois Half-Marathon next week. He has been prepared for and nailed every.single.workout that I have asked him to do! He had little expectations of himself going into training, but with his progress he's made over the last month or so I cannot WAIT to see him surprise himself next week!
- My husband Dan and our friend Steve have been doing a lot of training together, and last weekend they raced the Springfield 1/2 Marathon- even though it was on a hilly course, they both PR'ed by a long-shot with a 1:41 !!! They finished 9min faster they predicted, and came with 2 minutes of their FLAT course goal time for the Illinois Half next week! I'm so excited!
- I would love to add pictures... but THIS is why I cannot blog consistently- it takes me SO LONG!! :)
Monday, April 16, 2012
A Training Funk, my tv shows, and my 3 favorite wines right now
My life in bullet points:
Posted by Laura Wheatley at 10:33 PM